Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our dog is 12 1/2 yo but most people think he is 1-2 yo. He…

Our dog is 12...

Our dog is 12 1/2 yo but most people think he is 1-2 yo. He is typically energetic, even hyper at times. One month ago he went in for a teeth cleaning an to get his anal glands expressed and hasn't been the same since. Our vet works on a drop off system so he was there all day, which makes him really nervous. But he didn't really recover. A week or so after he got really sick-wouldn't eat, diarrehea, vomiting. That was two weeks ago. He hasn't been "sick" since but has been really lathergic, but not always. He sometimes stumbles a little and seems to have a hard time with stairs but not always. He is eating more than normal. The other thing is the right side of the top his head is swollen but not sensitive to the tough.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

No, except that he gets nervous dandruff at odd times.

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/10/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear your dog isn't feeling well. Did your vet do any blood work prior to putting him under anesthesia for the dental cleaning?

it was fine.
Typing is fine

Sometimes if there is an early condition developing early that isn't found on the blood work, it can become worse and become unmasked after the anesthesia. Most commonly, it is the kidneys that can be stressed during anesthesia. Did your vet check a urinalysis prior to the anesthesia, or only blood work? Did he give your dog IV fluids during the procedure?

We aren't sure. We dropped our dog off for the day and weren't present during the visit but we think it was only blood work.

Okay, I would have blood work repeated (CBC, chemistry profile, T4) and a urinalysis performed. The blood work will give information about his kidney, liver, and GI health, among other things, as well as check for elevated white blood cell count which can indicate infection or inflammation. The main thing the urinalysis would tell us is if his kidneys are concentrating urine adequately. There are a number of conditions that older cats can develop other than kidney disease, including diabetes, liver disease, pancreatitis, and diabetes, among other things. The reason that kidney disease comes to mind with your cat is the history of having had anesthesia recently. It's possible that his illness has nothing to do with the anesthesia, however. Since there is such a wide variety of conditions that older cats can develop, I think the lab testing is needed to find out what is going on.

Our pet is a dog. Does that change your response?

Oh, sorry, I mistyped. That does not change my response. All the same things apply to dogs.

How soon should we go in? We have an appointment for Tuesday and he is eating and drinking well and getting around ok. Can it wait?

Yes, since it sounds like he is feeling okay enough that you can wait until his appointment.

Ok. Thank you for your help.

You're welcome. Good luck with him. Sorry again for the typo. If I have been otherwise helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating. Thank you and have a great day.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian