Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My pug was showing symptoms consistent with what I thought…

My pug was showing...

My pug was showing symptoms consistent with what I thought might be diabetes. She was drinking excessively, urinating excessively and began to be a bit shaky on her feet, but great appetite, no vomiting or diarrhea, took her to the vet and they are claiming she has bladder cancer. I realize this is always a possibility, but is there any way there has been a misdiagnosis- in other words, do any of the bloodwork results that would show consistency with cancer also be consistent with diabetes (either mellitus or insipidus?) to make this misdiagnosis possible?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your pug eat anything unusual?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the pug's name and age?

Lola 10 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Lola?

10

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lola?

Not that I can think of

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

Hmmmm

The bladder cancer does not explain the increased thirst and urination

How did they diagnose the bladder cancer- ultrasound? Biopsy?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
they didn't do either- they did bloodwork and just claimed it was consistent with cancer, but that we would need to come back for a biopsy. They also said they think it has spread to her lungs.

They are just plain wrong then

Bladder cancer would not show up in the blood

Did they do chest radiographs?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I believe so- also they claimed despite her constant drinking, she is very dehydrated
They did some type of xray and saw some suspicious spots- but that is it

I am not happy with these veterinarians

They need to do a proper work-up to find out why the increased thirst and urination

Then a bladder and kidney ultrasound and urinalysis with culture

Then I need to see those chest x-rays

I would fine a different clinic

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think so too. Thank you so much

You are very welcome

I specialize in ultrasound and mu wife is a board certified veterinary pathologist

Please send all results to us- we will review with you

You can rate me now- I will leave this link open for you

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you! I just called them now to request they email copies to me- so as soon as I receive them, I will forward to you! Thank you thank you thank you! :-)

You are very welcome

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Here you go. By the way, I just spoke to the doctor, and she said the way they came to the conclusion of cancer was the elevated levels of calcium in her bladder. What ever that means.

Thanks for the records

I will review them

There is a DNA urine test to diagnose transitional cell carcinoma- takes a few days to get results

Either way we need that ultrasound etc etc

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
there is no proof here that she has cancer? The vet just told me there is a very slim to none chance of it being anything but. She doesn't have the best "bed side manner" obviously!

There is no proof that she cancer->correct

If it was my dog- I would be ultrasounding ASAP

I am not saying she does NOT have cancer but wow lets find out one way or the other

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, I will get her to another vet for an ultrasound

Good call

Please keep me updated

I looked at the x-rays

We for sure want to scan the whole abdomen

And I agree that there are nodules in the lungs

We need to dig in here and find out what is going on

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She said it is possible that this could be valley fever lesions.

Could also be granulomatous cystitis with the mineralization in the bladder

One step at a time

Lets stay positive

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian