Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My little Chihuahua has had a worsening eye condition where…

My little Chihuahua has had...
My little Chihuahua has had a worsening eye condition where I can tell one eye bothers him vs. the other. A vet said the "bad" eye's pressure was about half of what it should be and prescribed dexamethasone drops, 3x per day. I have followed that course of treatment for two weeks and have seen no improvement. Reading about the drops, I see they are a corticosteroid used to treat inflammation. If, in fact, the eyeball has low pressure, wouldn't this drug have an undesired effect? What do you recommend? Barney's bad eye even appears smaller than the other, something relatively new in his life. BTW, he's approximately 13!
3/10/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

Can you send me pictures of both eyes please?

Paul

Obviously, the right eye isn't as well lit. But this is a high def pic to give you a good view of his "bad" eye. Thank you!

Got em

Give me a minute :)

Ready!

That's a cute little doggy :)

They are treating for anterior uveitis and the steroids are the correct medication

Sometimes you have to put small steroid injections beside the eye (in the white) to stop the discomfort

When is the recheck for?

Paul

Amazing! I was given that very diagnosis from my longtime vet--uveitis. You have renewed my faith the diagnosis and treatment are correct! I was concerned about Barney's lack of progress and the possibilitiy of misdiagnosis. When I read the purpose of those drops, I thought they may not be appropriate. But, what do I know? I DO know ALL medicine is a "practice" versus an exact science so you have to treat every patient individually. The recheck is scheduled for today so I will ask my vet if the injection is advisable. That said, can you help me understand why "inflammation" could be the issue yet the eye appears smaller and the measured pressure is about half his healthy eye? Finally, what is your prognosis for improvement give the treatment being given. Should he see a veterinary ophthalmologist?
Thanks, DocPaul! And, thank's for complimenting Barney. He's a rescue and was an abuse victim.

Well you are very welcome :)

And yes he should see a veterinary opthalmologist

We need to know why this started

Please keep me updated

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about Barney. How is everything going?

DocPaul