Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

What is the best way to clean the gunk that builds up around…

What is the best way...
What is the best way to clean the gunk that builds up around a pet dog's eyes? (I cannot use rubbing alcohol or any agents with strong smells due to chemical sensitivities.)
3/10/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

I agree with not using anything that will damage the cornea

I really like just warm water on a soft cloth

You can also add a very small amount of hydrogen peroxide to that to remove the stains and kill the bacteria

Paul

Thanks Dr. Paul. I assume you're talking about adding the H2O2 to the cloth for germicidal and stain removal purposes AFTER using such to remove eye gunk?

Nope

I would put a small amount of peroxide on the cloth with water and then use that to clean the fur around the eyes

Paul

Thanks Dr. Paul. Is there any risk of eye damage if the standard 3% H2O2 gets in the eyes?

Welcome

The dilute peroxide on the cloth should be fine BUT go slow and be cautious just the same

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian