Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has had a honking/hacking cough for 3 days now after…

My dog has had...

My dog has had a honking/hacking cough for 3 days now after getting the influenza vaccine, but he was exposed to other dogs, so I'm thinking it could be kennel cough even though he was vaccinated a little less than a year ago

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?

Romeo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Romeo?

Are you going to relay the info?

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

This sure does sound like kennel cough

Still eating and drinking and happy?

Paul

He is, a little lethargic, but eating fine. His cough just sounds so painful!

No worries- lets do this:

Put in bathroom with shower on hot for ten minutes

Repeat three times daily

Give Robitussin DM three times a day-> How heavy is he?

Paul

I've been giving him DM already, have the Vicks going. He is 70 pounds is treakeal (no idea how to spell that) collapse something I have to worry about? His fever has been normal (although he had a fever and was throwing up a couple days ago) that all went away. Now it's just what sounds like a scarring cough. And his back paws are red and bothering him. I also gave him Benadryl.

You mention that he collapses sometimes?

Paul

Something else I read and already have on hand... Doxycycline... This is something that is prescribed for Kennel Cough yes? Bear in mind I'm not asking you whether or not to give it to him, just hypothetical I guess...

Hang on :)

You said that he collapses sometimes?

No he is walking fine just sleeping a little more than usual. Pink Gums, No Fever. What I was reading about with Kennel Cough is treakeal collapse. Do I have to worry about that with a large dog?
Would it be easier to call?

Oh sorry- PHEW!!!

NO they dont get tracheal collapse

I am thinking that he needs antibiotics- yes

You can try Doxycycline at 10.0 mg/kg twice daily and see how that works

Paul

I have 100 mg tablets so, only 20 mg per day for a 70 pound dog?
Just want to clarify

No->you would give 4 tablets twice daily

Paul

Oh I missed the per kg... lol sorry!!! No need to apologise! You've been wonderful! Also one more think... He's been having white phlem... Is that normal? Also what are the signs to look out for for an ER visit or is that rare?

The humidification will help with the phlegm

If not eating, increased respiratory rate and effort, elevated heart rate or increased coughing then he needs to go in

Paul

Okay so I have Benadryl, I might try Mucinex tablets (same active ingredient) he just won't take the liquid stuff, and Doxycycline?
He has a coughing fit (right now about once an hour) so if it increases take him in? Just wanted to let you know where we currently stand.

Do not use the Mucinex or the Benadryl. Just the Robitussin

Start the Doxycycline

And yes if the coughing gets worse then he goes in

Paul

The Benadryl has really been helping him sleep and relax, I only gave it to him because I thought with his swollen red paws that he might be having an allergic reaction to the antibiotics or something. Will it harm him to keep taking it?
Got it no Mucinex

The Robitussin will do that-> so you dont need the Benadryl

And anti-histamines do NOT help remove existing inflammation/allergic issues->The only prevent it from happening

Okay any idea why he might have the red paws? Last question :) and btw I'll be signing up now. You've been amazing!

The paws are red due to licking

The licking is likely related to food or inhalant allergies

And it is noteworthy that if the lungs dont respond then we need chest x-rays because this could also be allergic lung disease

Paul

Ok, so he IS experiencing allergies and he has been responding so we'll to Benadryl, so why take it away is my question?

Just in the short term as we dont want to have him to sedate......

IF he gets worse then let me know- but we are only talking about three days

He's never had any issues until recently when we started putting him in puppy daycare, so my guess is he may have a slight allergic reaction to the antibiotics that we've been giving him. No allergy symptoms ever before and he's only a year old. Okay I'll pull the Benadryl but if he starts swelling or getting red or having signs of anaphylactic shock can I give it to him them?

Hmmmmmm

I am thinking food allergy

Switch him to a hypoallergenic PRESCRIPTION dog food

Dont feed anything else

Paul

Okay! Thank you :)

Very welcome

Keep me updated on things please

And you can rate me now- I will leave this link open for you

Paul

Thank you, ***** ***** can come back to talk later?
Thank you!

You can indeed :)

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Cool... Rated you 5 stars. Keep up the good work and I'll update you with progress.

Thanks and 10-4

Hi Ashley,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
DocPaul
He's much better although he's still lethargic (more than usual) although he gets spurts of energy. He doesn't want to eat dog food so I have been giving him things that are okay for dogs to eat, but human food and his appetite has been okay he's just being picky. Cough is almost 100% gone. When should we stop the cough meds and antibiotics?
He does seem less interested in food than usual though. Could that be the antibiotics? He ate plenty today (2-3 full plates) just not dog food. He won't touch the stuff. Even the expensive refrigerated kind that he loved before.
I know it's only been three days, but I'm also wondering when will he get his energy back? Sorry! Lots of questions but basically just want to know...-when energy will return?
-disinterest of dog food be because of antibiotics?
-when to stop Doxycycline? Currently giving him 400mg per day 200 in morning and 200 in evening
-when to stop Robitussin (not coughing much anymore)

The antibiotics could be causing the low energy and appetite

Is he still eating his food though?

Paul

He won't eat any dog food no, but we fed him steak and veggies and chicken and rice etc and he has had a good appetite with human food. He's just being picky.

Okay

Picky is fine LOL

Could you kindly anwser my other questions in the past message? :)

Thought I did

The antibiotics are likely causing the issues

When should I stop Doxycycline? Currently giving him 400 mg per day 200 in AM and PM. When should I stop Robitussin (cough almost gone. By the way he was biting his paws again this morning and they're hot and red.

You can switch back to Benadryl now

Give Doxy for another week

Ok :) thank you! I might only have enough for a couple days. In that case should I go to the vet?

Yup

Ask for another weeks worth

Alright :) thanks! Cephalaxin won't work for an antibiotic for this will it?

It would but lets not change on the fly

And it does not work against Mycoplasma

Paul, thank you, ***** ***** 100% better :) I asked a new question about a raw spot on his paw. I'm hoping you can be the one to advise me, if not I just wanted to thank you.