Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

16yr male Norwich Terrier.Awoke with hipitched

16yr male Norwich Terrier.Awoke...

16yr male Norwich Terrier.Awoke with hipitched barking,shivering and heavy panting,any advice appreciated

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

16 year male Norwich terrier..Awokewith high p

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

He is not showing any sign of pain.When thehighpiched barking stopped.He started going in circles and heavy panting

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?

Max

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Max?

Over the past two years he has been treated for pancreatitis.This is entirely different .He has been having accidents in house.He is uninterested in his walk or playing

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Max. Circling is pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of both encephalopathy (brain disorder) involving the forebrain (cerebrum and thalamus) and vestibular (balance) disorders. Because other indications of vestibular disease aren't present - head tilt, nystagmus (eyes flicking back and forth), and ataxia ("drunken sailor"), an encephalopathy such as a vascular accident (stroke) or complex partial seizure (also called psychomotor seizure) is more likely. May I have an update on Max, please?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No change in his behAvior still in highly anxious state

Thank you. I suspect that you're seeing post-ictal (post-seizure) behavior. This usually abates within an hour of its onset but if it persists longer than that I need to consider status epilepticus which is the state in which the brain remains over-excited until I heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
DocPaul
Phone call session started

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for the information.Questions were answered promptly and explained in a compassionate manner

You'r equite welcome. Thank you for your kind words.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian