Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Won't eat or drink shivers throws up thick phelgm. Romeo 15…

Customer Question
Won't eat or drink...

Won't eat or drink shivers throws up thick white phelgm

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Romeo 15

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/10/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok

I am sorry to hear that Romeo has a poor appetite and minimal water consumption, is shivering, and is vomiting phlegm.

Shivering can be a fever response, but more often in a vomiting dog it is due to nausea, weakness, dehydration and electrolyte imbalances.

Lack of an appetite and vomiting can be related to eating something he should not have, too many treats or table food, eating foreign material (which could cause a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction), chronic pancreatitis, metabolic organ failure (kidney or liver disease), a dietary allergy or sensitivity, toxin exposure, a viral or bacterial infection, Addison's disease (hypoadrenocorticism), inflammatory bowel disease, or even infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma.

Because he isn't eating and is vomiting and he isn't drinking I am very concerned about him, he will quickly become dehydrated.

Ideally he would see a veterinarian today especially if this has been going on for more than 24-48 hours. Simple stomach upset should pass within 24 to 48 hours. They could examine him, run blood tests and possibly check radiographs and/or an ultrasound to evaluate him and know best how to treat him.

In the meantime they can administer injectable anti-nausea drugs and fluids to rehydrate him.

If you cannot have him seen for whatever reason there are some things you can try at home.

At home to try and settle his stomach you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one half of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are acid reducers and may help him feel less nauseous so that he will eat and drink and stop vomiting. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary.

A couple of hours after giving the acid reducer I recommend offering small amounts of water or clear broth.

If he holds those down for 6-8 hours you can offer meat baby foods or a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow.

If he continues to vomit and not eat he should see a veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics and intravenous fluids and supportive care.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He's only about 10# ***** how much should I give him on the Pepcid/Prilosec

If he is 10 pounds you can give him:

1) 1/2 of a 10mg Pepcid every 12 hours

OR

2) 1/4 of a 20mg Prilosec every 24 hours.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian