Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I thin she has a urinary tract infection. Gracie 13 yo. 13.

I thin she has...

I thin she has a urinary tract infection

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

Gracie 13 yo

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Gracie?

13

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gracie?

She is having symptoms of cushings disease but not confirmed

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

What are the clinical signs?

Still eating and drinking?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
her liver is enlarged
her stomach is very distended
she is eating but not as eager about it
she is drining alot of water
she is also a diabetic on 6 units of vetsulin 2x day with meals
12 lb. min pin. she is 13 years old
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
she has been to my vet, who recommended a ton of tests for a determination of her condition ; unemployed now, so i cannot do tests. doc said her liver is enlarged

Hmmmm

This does not sound like a urinary tract infection BUT the increased water intake means that her diabetes is not that well regulated

I would focus on that as opposed to the UTI

Make sense?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
her blood sugar tested yest. was just over 100.
lately just noticed her stomach distended, so went to doc.
who suspects an infection caused the possible chain of events for cushings disease.

Infection would not lead to Cushing's disease

Did they test for Cushing's disease?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
she has not confirmed an infection i didnt do the tests. I did have her
abaxis hm5 lab results

Okay

I just want to confirm what your specific question here is so I can help you

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no. she gave an estimate of what gracie needs including
a dental cleaning
urinalysis stic
fructosamine
vurin urine culture
clddx 48 dex sup low dose
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
gracie is distended in her stomach. I want to make sure it wont
kill her. read online that it can be fatal

Okay

And your budget is not allowing that so we have to pick and choose tests

I would get the blood glucose under control and do the urine culture

The liver enlargement is likely causing the abdominal distension- no this is not going to kill her

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you recommend the fructosamine to get glucose under control or?? I have urine dip stick and does not indicate keytones
but does indicate elevated glucose.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have some dura-pen abx.
would it be okay to give to her just in case of infection?

I would wait on the fructosamine for now

Knowing the blood sugars will help them to adjust the insulin dose

NO I would not give the dura-pen- now that effective

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
alright, then I will do urine culture and another blood draw to test blood sugar??
thank you

Correct

We need to watch our budget :)

Okay good luck- you can rate me now- I will leave this link open for your updates

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you
DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian