Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My girl is in labor, stage 1 is at around 24 hours with no…

My girl is in...

My girl is in labor, stage 1 is at around 24 hours with no signs of pushing contractions, she’s not in distress and will even eat a little should I continue to wait? I checked and there isn’t a puppy in the birth canal. Her stage 1 has been really sporadic so it’s hard to judge how long it’s been going exactly

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Mia, Rhodesian Ridgeback

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mia?

No, perfectly healthy. This is her second litter.

3/10/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I don't know that I would be too worried yet if she seems comfortable and is eating with no signs yet that this is progressing to stage II labor. Most dogs are in stage I for 6-12 hours, but some go a bit longer.

If her cervix isn't open there is no need to be panicked yet.

The most accurate sign of impending stage II labor is a drop in body temperature, usually at least a couple degrees, down to less than 99.0 F. At this point I recommend you start taking her rectal temperature every 12 hours. That way you will have an idea of what her normal is. When her body temperature drops she should be within 24 hours of labor and delivery.

Make sure she has a place set up for delivery now that she is very comfortable with. During her first stage of labor she will have some cramping and be restless but she won't actively be pushing.

When she progresses to the second stage of labor that is the active stage of labor. Then the first puppy should be born within 2 hours of you noticing her straining and it is usually faster then that.

There shouldn't be more that an hour between puppies and if you see any fetal membranes or a body part protruding the pup should be delivered within 30 minutes, if not that signifies trouble. The problem can be a puppy that is too large to pass through the pelvic canal, improper presentation of the puppy or uterine inertia (poor muscle tone and contractions). She may need help getting the pup out of the fetal membranes. You can also help by tying off the umbilical cords with clean thread about a 1 inch from the body wall.

There should be a placenta delivered with each puppy. Some dogs will want to eat the placentas but I recommend removing them so they do not lead to stomach upset

When she is done delivering all the pups expect her to expel some blood, fluids and the remaining tissues from the pup's placentas.

She may or may not want to eat and drink after the pups. Have fresh food and water ready for her as she needs fluids and calories with all the work she has done. Some dogs however are too nervous or busy with their pups and will wait to eat and drink until later.

Here is a link to an accurate article that will help if you have any further questions and also describes possible complications after delivery: http://retiredvet.hubpages.com/hub/Pregnancy-and-Labor-in-Dogs

Has she had radiographs or an ultrasound done recently so that you know how many puppies to expect and that there isn't an overly large pup that cannot make it through her pelvis?

If she goes through today with no signs of impending stage II labor I recommend an exam to make sure the pups are ok, but right now she seems stable.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We did not do x-rays so I can only guess the numbers. I can see it’s a large litter, her last was 10 and she looks bigger this time. She’s having no concerning discharge. Today is day 63 so I will continue to monitor her temperature for now. Thank you

You are very welcome. If things have not progressed by tonight I would recommend an exam.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She is doing well. Active labor started about 30 minutes after our last correspondence. It was a very hard labor that lasted another 24 hours in which she whelped 15 healthy pups. She was definitely worn out by the end, but she got up and zoomed through the house like she hadn't just spent 48 hours giving birth. Currently she is caring for her pups well and our Vet gave her medication for a slight fever. We are supplementing the pups feedings so as not to drain her too badly.

Poor girl, I'm sorry to hear that she had a rough time of it. I am not surprised to hear that she ran a fever after a long, difficult labor and I am glad to hear it is being addressed, and you are supplementing feedings to help her out.

I am sure you are doing so but make sure she takes in lots of fluids and has access to small, frequent feedings. She will need to take in a tremendous amount of calories even with your helping with feedings. You can add chicken or beef broth to her meals or offer those to drink along with water.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** *****'t thought of the broth. She is getting lots of plain yogurt and being aloud to free feed.

Glad to her that she is allowed to free feed, she needs the calories, fat and protein.

My best to your girl.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian