Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dr Salkin my 10 year old Rottweiler has had diarrhea since…

Dr Salkin my 10 year...
Dr Salkin my 10 year old Rottweiler has had diarrhea since Wednesday night. I think it's from adding grass-fed ground beef to her kibble. This is something new I started to do in hopes of switching over completely to homemade diet. My other Rottie who was switched to kibble and grass-fed beef too hasn't had diarrhea but lots of gas and stomach gurgling.So she got a bit of diarrhea the first day I added beef that was 85 percent lean Sunday, then got better to totally solid stool, then got diarrhea again when I gave ground grassfed beef that wasn't 85 percent lean. She was going outside now every 4 hours or so, then had a break at the end of the day and then would starts again at 3 and then at 6 at night. We don't get to sleep a lot lately. She is drinking and active and alert and hungry.She gets 1 prilosec a day for acid reflux and I have been giving her kaolin/pectin twice a day since two days ago.She had bloodwork and urinalysis done in November and all looked good. Saw the vet on Feb 6 for rabies shot and looked healthy to the vet. So here are my questions:Yesterday, gave her 8 teaspoons of pepto and fasted her 12 hours and then fed her a bit of rice with little bit of ground beef. Things seemed better all day after 10 AM no more diarrhea ALL DAY and then she diarrhea again only at 6 this morning.Last time she went through a diet change, the Imodium was the only medicine to stop her diarrhea which lasted for like almost a week. She does really bad with diet changes.All my vets are closed the weekend and the other emergency vet 2 hours away wants $1,100 deposit. I would try again 8 teaspoons of pepto and rice and ground beef, but the Immodium really helped last time but from what I am hearing it is bad if she has bad bacteria in her gut? What's the worse that may happen if I give it and she has bad bacteria? I have a vet appointment for her Tuesday as Monday my daughter has surgery.
Forgot to say that the diarrhea at 6 this morning was better formed more like a cow poop rather than straight liquid.
Never mind went again and was mucus and liquid squirt.
3/10/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Thank so much!

You may be correct, Jenna, particularly because both dogs experienced gastrointestinal distress when you made the food change. Rather than medicating them it makes more sense to me to simply return to their previous diet. Imodium doesn't shut down the GI tract; instead, it returns it to normal motility unless you administer it chronically which can result in constipation. I dose loperamide (Imodium) at 0.1 mg per pound of body weight thrice daily as needed. Bismuth subsalicyclate (PeptoBismol, Kaopectate) may be palliative when dosed in the wide range of 0.1 - 1 mL per pound 3-4 times daily. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

OK, I would like to do the loperamide as it worked like a charm last time. She is 82 pounds and last time I gave her one 2 mg tablet and it helped right away. Would one 2 mg tablet be the correct does?Also, if she made a cow poop this morning followed then by liquid noisy squirt with mucus is that a sign of getting better considering that before it was days of mostly noisy liquid squirts?

82 lbs x 0.1 mg/lb = 8 mg. If 2 mg did the trick, then it was the correct dose! You could increase all the way up to 8 mg if need be. Anecdotal dosage recommendations vary and no published evidence suports one over the other.

Perhaps, but we need more of a track record of firming stool to be able to prognose more accurately.

Thanks so much, I was planning to start a home -cooked diet thinking that kibble is making her sick with her acid reflux. And here I am with more problems than before! Do you know any homemade recipe for senior dog with digestive problems that can be given long term? I was planning to give ground beef with kibble or only grass fed ground beef and add a senior dog multivitamin to make sure it is complete.

You're quite welcome. I have a text Home-Prepared Dog & Cat Diets, 2nd Ed., Schenck, 2010, that has many balanced recipes but it's important to clarify which type of digestive problem exists before you can know which type of recipe is most appropriate. That can take diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests (a "gastrointestinal diagnostic panel"), ultrasound, a hypoallergenic food trial, and even scoping and biopsy of the GI tract.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Hi Jenna,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Petruzza. How is everything going?