Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

12 year old lab mix recently diagnosed with mega esophogus.

12 year old lab...

12 year old lab mix recently diagnosed with mega esophogus. Has an extremely bad case of saliva/spit accumulating in the throat. I feel it is constantly producing and she ends up having to regurgitate to get the spit up. Also, water seems to be a trigger for her to regurgitate. I am feeding her elevated as well as water elevated. She is on metaclopromide, antacid, and sulfcramate. Is there anything else I could give her to reduce the saliva accumulation, and any type of weight gainer food I might be able to feed her? She continues to lose weight even though I feel she keeps about 80% of the food down. I feed her about 3 cans of dog food a day about 4 different times a day. The spit accumulation is my biggest question. Any remedies to cut down on her production?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the lab?

Well, I feel like if I could stop the saliva/spit production, I could cut down on her regurgitations. She regurgitates about 10-15 times per day.

3/10/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your elderly Lab X. Her treatment regimen is appropriate. You might see if an over the counter proton pump antacid such as omeprazole (Prilosec) is helpful in that regard if you're currently administering either the antacids famotidine or ranitidine - neither of which are as potent or as long-lasting as omeprazole. Most important, however, is ruling out an important cause of acquired megaesophagus - myasthenia gravis - which is a neuromuscular disease that should always be considered in these patients. The test of choice for myasthenia gravis is the acetylcholine receptor antibody test which needs to be discussed with her vet. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We did test her for myasthenia gravis and is was negative. Also, I'm giving her 20 mg of omeprazole in a capsule form. Any recommendations on how I could reduce the production of her saliva/spit that I feel is constantly accumulating. I feel her regurgitation would decrease if I could find a way to slow down her production of saliva. Also, I was going to try and give her about 4 ounces a day of aloe vera water to soothe her stomach maybe. Is that safe to try?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did you get my second question?

Thank you for the additional information. Although not used as frequently in the past, the anticholinergic drugs can suppress saliva production. These are atropine-like drugs such as propantheline and prochlorperazine which can be prescribed by your vet. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. An anticholinergic drug needs to be carefully chosen as some will slow the emptying of the esophagus which, of course, would be contraindicated in such a patient.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will get my vets opinion on Monday. This is such a hard disease to manage. I’m doing my best but it’s labor intensive. So sad to watch a slow decline when 6 weeks ago, she was normal.

I understand how difficult this is for you at this time. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian