Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog twisted his leg and is limping, he is already on

My dog twisted his...

My dog twisted his leg and is limping, he is already on rimadyl he is still in pain.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

He is 12yrs old and has Cushing disease

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

What else can we give him for the pain

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

We give him fish oil a multi vitamin glucosamine and chondroitin and trilostane

3/10/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your dog. Because he's already being given a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as Rimadyl, we can't add another NSAID such as aspirin to his therapy and the NSAIDs ibuprofen and naproxen are toxic to dogs in any event. You can, however, add acetaminophen (e.g., Tylenol) at a dose of 7 mg per pound thrice daily. If given for more than 5 consecutive days, it's best to reduce the dose to 5 mg per pound of body weight twice daily.

If you have a human narcotic at home, please let me know and I'll see if I can give you a dose for him. These narcotics can be given concurrently with an NSAID or acetaminophen.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.