Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has kidney disease. I hydrate her q 3 days with 200ml…

She has kidney disease...

She has kidney disease. I hydrate her q 3 days with 200ml Normosol-R. She tried all day yesterday to poop. The first of the morning she was able to poop a small amount. It looked like pudding, but the rest of the day she was unable to poop any more even though she tried SEVERAL times. She would not eat yesterday. I have also given her Famotadine 20mg and Docusate 100mg daily. Since she wouldn't eat yesterday, I was unable to sneak the meds any food. I'm afraid she's got an impaction d/t the so much runny stool now when she tried to poop. Can I give her an enema or suppository? She is a 97lb lab mix

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

She still likes to play ball!

3/10/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now we do need to tread with care if she is straining to pass stool. Given her condition, we'd be concerned there may be a fecolith (rock hard feces) caught within intestines. Though we can also see these signs if she has eaten something non-edible, if she has a thickening of her intestines (cancer) or an enlarged organ/mass compressing the gut. Therefore, we do need to tread with care. Though for the moment, we can try some further treatment to see if we can get things moving and get her comfortable.

Further to her Famotidine (use it every 12 hours) try offering or gently syringe feeding cow's milk. The lactose in milk can increase gut movement and help dogs pass feces. Otherwise, we can give her a dose of OTC cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) as it works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum.

Otherwise, instead of Docusate, try giving her a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose or food grade mineral oil orally. We do prefer to add it to food but as long as she isn't vomiting, we can give this directly with care. This and even syringe fed canned pumpkin can just ease fecal passage and help us push anything in the intestines through. So, those would be our next steps here for your lass and these are preferable to an enema at home (though you can give a gentle one with luke warm water, dish soap, + KY jelly if you have experience and wish to). Else if we cannot get her settled in the next few hours, we are best to have her seen and assessed for the above. And if it is a fecolith she may need sedation to remove it safely.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

************

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you! : )

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I know she hasn't eaten anything non-edible b/c I go outside with her each time and observe her success or lack of. I will try cow's milk and pumpkin. I will try the Miralax 1 tsp daily.I have an idea that Senacot may not be a good idea, but I sure think about it! Thank you for your help

Good, I am glad we can exclude that since blockages are always a worry otherwise. Still do give the above the try (avoid Senacot though) and we can see if we can get her settled here.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I believe the Miralax really helped Libby. It came out like pudding. But she still has issues with going potty. She strain a lot with no luck. I was able to get her into her regular vet yesterday. We're looking at possibly IBS. The vet did not feel any restrictions. And Libby did not show any pain when being palpated. So we have now added Pepto-Bismol two tablets two times a day 12 hours apart and an antibiotic. I will take in a sample of the feces as soon as she provides me with a sample. Thank you for getting us started

Good morning,

I am glad to hear that we could get things moving but its a shame to here that she also has IBS on top of her kidney issues. Hopefully her vets treatment can just help keep that in check for her.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian