Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Seems like she was allergic to Torbutrol, today, she can´t…

Seems like she was...

Seems like she was allergic to Torbutrol, today, she can´t even move and I´m stranded at home, not able to reach her vet, or go anywhere, until someone comes to clear a path to move my car

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

I started the Torbutrol treatment Tuesday night, Wed give the dosis again, but at night, she vomited, had diarrhea bloody diarrhea, but she was fine by morning, so I only give her 1 pill in the afternoon, that night was worst than previous, I stopped the pills, couldn´t reach the doctor, yesterday, by morning took her out for pee and actually was blood in her pee and also in the poop, by late afternoon, she couldn´t walk, drank water for the last time yesterday around 5:30, now I have to carry her, to keep her next to me

Veterinarian's Assistant: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

She had some lumps removed back in December, biopsy came fine, she´s spayed, years ago she suffered from seizures, but they all stopped, poodle, will be 14 in April, never had puppies.

3/10/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Poodle. Why is she on the Torbutrol; what is she taking it for? We use it for both coughing, and for pain.

Blood in her urine might indicate a bladder infection (UTI), and that would not be from Torbutrol. If she can't walk, that could be from the Torbutrol making her too drowsy. Is she eating at all?

Are there any house call vets in your area that might be able to come look at her?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Torbutrol was for coughing. No house call vets. She is not eating, last time was yesterday morning, but she didn´t hold it in long, drank water last yesterday around 5:30, she must be starving, but she can´t eat. Last 1 pill was Wednesday night.

If she is not eating or drinking, she may be dehydrated. She really needs medical attention as soon as possible. Try to get her to take any liquids you can: water, ice chips, broth.

This does not sound like it is a reaction to Torbutrol; it sounds like she is sick for another reason.

If you lift her lip to check her gums, are they pink or pale?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
pink, they just cleared up the driveway, came earlier as expected, going to an emergency Vet, thank you

You are welcome.

Pink is good. Glad to hear you can get her to a veterinarian. Please let me know how she is doing.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for the great rating.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian