Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 13lb Shi tzu has been on apoquel for many months now and…

Hi, my 13lb Shi...

Hi, my 13lb Shi tzu has been on apoquel for many months now and it’s working fine. However, I believe she has a UTI because of it. Can you write a script for uti today for me or recommend a treatment I can start today until my vet opens again on Monday? Thank you.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

Thank you. Over the last week or so she’s been licking incessantly off and on “down there” and squatting to itch herself. I know it’s a uti.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Pursey. Age 7. Female. Otherwise excellent health.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Pursey!!!

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pursey!!?

No. The apoquel has been awesome but the uti licking is now the new nightmare. I feel so bad for her.

3/10/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Thank you

I am sorry to hear you are concerned that Pursey may have a UTI. I have not seen or read that Apoquel causes a UTI; what are her symptoms?

You need to do a urinalysis to confirm a UTI before starting antibiotics. You can start giving her cranberry extract, or Cranadin for dogs to help with UTI symptoms. You can also give D Mannose, from a supplement store, to help with a UTI.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just read that a uti is a possible side effect but who knows the source. Her symptoms are that she keeps licking down there very very frequently and she’s rubbing the floor.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was afraid of that because our vet is closed today and tomorrow. What can I use to take a urine sample to an emergency vet today? Does it have to be a sterile container?

I have been researching on Veterinary Information Network. There have been these reports, so a study was done following 55 dogs on Apoquel for 6 months, and none developed a UTI.

A urine sample just needs to be in a clean container.

Usually a dog with a UTI is urinating frequently, straining to urinate, producing a little urine at a time but often.

You can try the cranberry and take a sample to your veterinarian on Monday. Is her vulva swollen or red at all? This licking and rubbing could be related to her allergies.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Good to know! What else would be causing the licking “down there” in your opinion?

It could be her allergies, a yeast infection, but it could be UTI.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. It isn’t but she’s starting to whine a little bit which is new. She is def being distracted by it.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. I’ll take a urine sample today and we’ll go from there. Can I just give her cranberry juice or does it have to be the extract?

You can give cranberry juice if she will take it. The extract comes in capsules and might be easier to get her to take.

If she seems painful you could give her a baby aspirin, if she is 15 to 20 pounds. Give with food, and stop if she vomits. Do not give Advil or Aleve.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh!!! Ok. I can get her to take pills!! Can I get them at a local gnc? What dosage would you reccomned? I’ll get the standardized form only.

A GNC should have cranberry extract pills. Cranadin is made just for dogs and you might find it at a pet store.

If you get one made for people, give 1/4th the adult dose.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
One 81mg baby aspirin?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Great!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just one 81mg baby aspirin?

Yes, if she weighs 15 to 20 pounds.

1/2 if she is smaller. If she vomits, do not repeat it. It can be given up to twice daily.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Perfect! Thank you Doctor! Have a nice day. you have been very helpful!

You are welcome; please let me know how she is doing.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will do on both counts!! Thanks again!!

You are welcome!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ps- do you like apoquel? Should I discontinue? Just an opinion.

I do like it, and if I had a dog with allergies I would use it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok!! That’s a great vote of confidence. Would you use it longer term? Every time I stop it she starts flaring up?

Yes, I would use it long term but I would try to get down to giving it once a day. If she has seasonal allergies, you might be able to stop in winter for awhile.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok! She’s on 3.6 once a day. Thanks again Doctor!����

You are welcome!

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thanks for the great rating!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Rebecca, just a follow up with my shi tzu Pursey. I started her on cranadin pills as suggested and suspected an anal gland issue too so started her on glandex and the itching down there has almost completely subsided!!!! Yayyy! Thanks again and if I ever have any further needs for my beautiful lil Pursey I’ll make sure to ask you!! ����‍♂️

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear she is doing better.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian