Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog ate about three strips of raw bacon last night. He threw…

Customer Question
Hi there. Dog ate...

Hi there. Dog ate about three strips of raw bacon last night. He threw up once this morning. I gave him some lean meat cooked this morning and water and he was hungry. Should I rush him to the hospitial or let hI’m rest? He’s a puppy about 4 months okd

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Archie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Archie?

Just that he’s a puppy whippet

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/10/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now this isn't an uncommon reaction to eating raw bacon as it can cause gastritis or even pancreatitis in dogs. Of course, there is a small chance of secondary bacterial infection if it were off at the time Archie ate it. In any case, at this stage and in regards ***** ***** question, how to approach this depends on how severe his nausea/vomiting is. If it is severe and he cannot even keep water down, then we'd want him to the local hospital for injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- fluids.

Otherwise, if his signs are mild, we could soothe his stomach with an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Afterwards we can keep to a low fat diet (as that will help with any pancreatic inflammation), For that, you can give small meals of cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to your normal diet.

Finally, as dehydration is a risk in these situations, do keep an eye on his hydration. To check that, there are a few things you can look for. Besides gum moisture, make sure his eyes aren't sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check those dehydration signs, here is a good video ( http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html ) to look at. If you do see any signs of dehydration already, that's our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell). But again if he isn't vomiting severely and has just the once, we can use the above for him. Any more vomiting or if he is weak, then we'd want to have him seen to be safe.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

************

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you! : )

**************************

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian