Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

It ingested methamphetamine and it's not my dog it's a

Customer Question
It ingested methamphetamine and...

It ingested methamphetamine and it's not my dog it's a friend's dog I said to make sure you gave it fluids lots of water and milk

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your friend's dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Molly about 4 years old lab

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Molly?

I've been reading about it on the internet but I was wondering if you could give it Benadryl to help her calm down

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Molly?

Molly is about 4

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/10/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.]

How much did she get?

How long ago?

What signs are you seeing?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's my friend's dog and he told me it ain't about a gram of it and it constantly turning in circles its eyes are bugged out its mouth wide open it won't hold still we've been giving it fluids with a syringe in the mouth and the fluids we've been giving it as water and milk

Ok and do you know how long ago she got into the meth?

Hi again,

While waiting for you I do want to post my thoughts on Molly's current situation.

Now as I am sure you can appreciate, the signs they are reporting suggest she has already absorbed the drug. So, while we could try giving OTC activated charcoal (1 gram per pound of body weight) we are more in a symptomatic care phase here. So, the fluids you noted are fine but really we need to also be keeping Molly calm as we don't want to trigger seizures here. So, we want her kept somewhere quiet, calm, and dimly lit for the next 12-24 hours. We'd hope she will settle and just sleep this off. Besides fluids, they can also offer a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder).

Of course, if her signs were to worsen (tremors, seizures), then they'd need to have her seen by the local vet for IV fluids +/- supportive care (is anti-seizure medication, muscle relaxants, etc) to just get this out of her system quicker and avoid any permanent damage (ie blindness, brain damage from seizures, etc). But we'd hope that if she may be showing peak signs already that this will be the worst we see and with resting/fluids we will just get her through this and back to herself.

In this situation, just in case they do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you! : )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian