Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog just had a litter of 13 puppies but after 2 days from…

Customer Question
my dog just had a...
my dog just had a litter of 13 puppies but after 2 days from birth she needed a hystorectomy. now she's at home and she needs medication. Can she feed the puppies?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/10/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Which medications is she on?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Metronidazole, clausepting and metacam

Hello again,

Unfortunately, two of the drugs that Bonnie is on --the Metronidazole and Metacam-- are not considered safe during lactation. If she was only on the Clavaseptin that would be safe for them to keep nursing. But in this instance if she needs to be on those other two then we'd want to be bottle feeding the puppies until she finishes the course to avoid any issues for them.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

************

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you! : )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian