Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 1 year old saint bernard has been trowing up yellow for…

Hello my 1 year old...
Hello my 1 year old saint bernard has been trowing up yellow for the last couple of days, should i be concerned? What could it be?
3/10/2018
Heath Wilkerson

Hi Dr. W here. There are literally thousands of things that can cause vomiting. It could be as simple as an upset stomach for no reason, to intestinal worms, to any number of serious illnesses. With a one year old, it is most commonly something non-serious though. How many times is he vomiting each day?

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand your dog has been vomiting recently. One of the most important things we are concerned about with vomiting is the risk of dehydration. This would constitute an emergency, so I am going to recommend a few ways to measure the hydration status. There are two methods. The first is to feel the gums. They should feel wet and slippery normally. If they feel dry or sticky then that is a sign of dehydration. This test only works if your dog is not panting. The second method is called the "skin tent test." This is performed by gently pulling up on the skin behind the shoulders and letting go when you feel resistance. Count how long it takes for the skin to return to a normal position. Normal is less than 2 seconds. Let me know what you find.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello she is drinking water normally, the only thing is that she does not go up to get food, i have to put it in front of her so she can start eating otherwise she will go the whole day without eating. He is only throwing up like twice a day. I did the gums test and they feel normal and also the skin tent test feels normal
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She*

As long as she is not dehydrated then this is not an emergency. It sounds like there is an ongoing issue with nausea that may require some diagnostic testing from a veterinarian. You can give some over-the-counter remedies to help decrease nausea, and you can feed a low fat food to help encourage an appetite. If she is still showing no interest in eating after that then she should definitely be seen by a veterinarian.

You can give over-the-counter Pepcid to decrease nausea. The dose for a 100 lb dog is 25 mg (i.e. 2.5 tablets) every 12 hours as needed. Let me know if she weighs more than that and I can give you the correct dose. A low fat food would consist of things like boiled chicken and white rice. Offer this in small amounts at a time. Dogs tend to like it and it is easily digested so it does not tend to cause nausea.

Does that help to answer your question?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you she does weight 100, i will cook some chicken for her and she how she does thank you so much for your help

You are most welcome. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I'm here to help. You have no the questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian