Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

14 year old yellow lab. A half day after being her normal…

14 year old yellow...

14 year old yellow lab. A half day after being her normal active self she became lethargic. Didn’t want to eat or drink. Yesterday got her to move a bit more and today she ate rice and chicken combo Tonight she needed to go out. Pooped green not diarrhea but not solid

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the lab will be able to digest that. What is the lab's name?

Sassie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sassie?

Takes Proin for incontinence secondary to surgery and takes Deramaxx for joint pain

3/10/2018
Heath Wilkerson

Hi. Dr W here. I am reviewing your post now. This may take a few minutes. Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I mistyped....today she ate the chicken and rice. She didn’t do much yesterday in term of food. She did eat pills but not normal self at allthough better today than yesterday

Hi it sounds like she had an off day yesterday but is doing well today right? How is her stool today?

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello, I am afraid that the expert you were chatting with has opted out. Anyway, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Was her stool green like grass or metallic green? If the latter, any chance of her getting into toxins (ie rat bait)?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not grass. Was brighter green. She had gotten a cucumber a day earlier and poop looks like inside of it. Some drooling but only after she is eating snow. Belly seems fine. I have to lift her into car and she is okay with that. Guns moist and normal pinkish color

Hello again,

Ah, well if she did have a cucumber that may be what has discolored the stool. Though the reduced appetite and lethargy does make me concerned about underlying nausea and that she may be in the midst of fighting off a bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, or that there has been a dietary indiscretion. We can also see vague signs like this at her age with organ issues (ie kidney or liver disease) but we'd hope those less likely here.

Therefore provided the chance of toxicity is low, I'd suggest some supportive care for Sassie. First, to counter nausea, we can try her with an OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Afterwards, you can try the chicken/rice again or use a different protein like boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet. And just to note we do need to make sure she is eating a bit before using Deramaxx since that can upset empty stomachs (or even cause stomach ulcers).

Overall, her signs do raise a few concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she doesn't' settle within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved to assess her +/- check bloods to assess organ function. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-nausea medication, appetite stimulants, +/- antibiotics to get her back feeling like herself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Took her to vet this morning. Large tumor by stomach....surgery on Monday.

Hello again,

The poor love. I am sorry to hear that they found a tumor. Though that is positive they feel they can remove it for her and we'd hope that if they do so, that will be curative.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Pray for us! I am a wreck. She is my best friend for sure and I know she’s older but....can let her go without a fight
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks

Absolutely, my dear.

And I'd say that age is just a number, if she is otherwise a healthy dog and they feel it can be resected then she has a very good chance there.

All the best, ***** ***** are with you,

Dr. B.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She went through surgery successfully. Came home the day after. Took her out to pee before I brought her in - don't know if I caused it or not cause I let her walk a bit. She was panting hard when she came in....20 mn later she was dead from a clot. I am distraught beyond belief. She was so close to being well....and I screwed up. So so sad....Tumor was large and attached to spleen so spleen came out. Thought I would give you the sad, sad ending to my beautiful girl....best friend and soul mate!
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian