Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 2 year old hound mix attacked a raccoon tonight. I tried…

Customer Question
My 2 year old...

My 2 year old hound mix attacked a raccoon tonight. I tried to break it up repeatedly as it was clear the raccoon was badly hurt and fighting back but my dog kept coming back (this occurred in the woods behind our house). Eventually, on the last attack, he broke the raccoon back and, after about 15 minutes it died. I have since seen a small puncture wound on my dog's front left shoulder and significant tear (1 inch) on his left side. I treated it with silvadene and have put a dressing on the tear to protect it until morning but am concerned. He is vaccinated but it clearly low - although he knows he is in trouble. Any advice? Should I take him to the emergency vet now?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is your dog bleeding a lot?

No, not at all. I didn't realize he was wounded until I saw he swiped blood on the wall.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Phew. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

I don't think so. He is larger...79 lbs - hound/black mouth cur (we think) rescue.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/10/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about your dog.

I know this must be a very stressful situation for you both, but since he's not bleeding profusely, I wouldn't consider this to be an ER type of situation. Waiting to have him seen by your vet tomorrow should be fine.

Treating as you have done tonight is what I would have suggested; I might also apply otc antibiotic ointment on the wound such as you would use on yourself.

While the laws vary by state, I would also recommend another rabies vaccine even though he may be up to date.

I hope this helps, Deb