Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 90 pound lab mix dog got his mouth on a mouse trap which…

My 90 pound lab...

My 90 pound lab mix dog got his mouth on a mouse trap which contained a block of poison. It looked like he chewed on the block but based on the amount of pieces of poison we found next to him, we think he consumed very little. However after reading articles on line, became concerned regarding side effects

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what the lab ate?

The poison are the green bait blocks by d-con. Not sure how much he ate, there amount he didn’t eat was probably more than 90%

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the lab?

He just had knee surgery 1 month ago and is on 150 mgs RIMADYL daily and a fish oil supplement

3/10/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Thank you

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Given your Lab's weight then if this was just a small portion of one block then the chances are that this was not a toxic dose. However, rodent poison can be very toxic to dogs so best err on the safe side. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your Lab sick immediately and try to recover any ingested rodent poison that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be OK. For the sake of speed, I will give you a link on how to do this best: LINK

2. But if you fail to induce vomiting then be aware that your local vet will have an antidote available for the common rodent poisons so you may want to take your Lab in tomorrow as a further precaution. But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your Lab's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Phone call session started

Trying to call you but just getting the answering system, I will try again in a couple of minutes ...

Regards,

Dr Scott