Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I just found my dachshund eating a ant trap is this

I just found my...

I just found my dachshund eating a ant trap is this poisonous for dogs

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what your dachshund ate?

Yes it’s one of the square black ant traps they come 8 to container. You can put them on your counter

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dachshund?

She does have seizures

3/10/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Luckily there is not enough product in these to be of concern but if the container itself is ingested then we have a potential foreign body obstruction. So as long as your dog just punctured the container and didn't actually ingest the plastic you should be just fine

As with any ingestion please monitor for vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, reduced appetite but I suspect you won't see any ill effects from this ingestion.

If GI upset is seen then please take a few precautions:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days

- Leash walks to help the ingredients pass more readily of >15 minutes

- Next meal should be a bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals but waiting at least 12 hours after vomiting has subsided if there is this symptom

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with or clarify. I am online another 15 minutes tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Dr Altman thank you so much for your quick response.. I feel so relieved.. My dog did not eat the container just puncture the container.. thanks again!!

You are very welcome, I am glad the information provided some relief tonight :)

Thank you for the positive rating and best wishes to you both