Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Puppy has red anus area and is swollen. Skin seems pink all…

Puppy has red anus...

Puppy has red anus area and is swollen. Skin seems pink all over and on pads. More so than usual had second round of booster shots and deformed on Wednesday

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Moose

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Moose?

No that is all

3/10/2018
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

I can not call, on the phone, at this time.

Is he having diarrhea or abnormal stools? When did you first notice the redness? Is he acting ill? How much does he weigh?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He seems perfectly fine. I noticed it earlier this afternoon and it seems a bit more noticeable now.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He is 27 pounds and 14 weeks old. He is an American pit bull terrier.

Thank you. I think it would be a good idea to give him 25 mg of benadryl. That will help if he is having a bit of a reaction to the vaccines. The benadryl can be given every 12 hours until he appears normal. It may make him a tiny bit sleepy.

Often the rectum becomes swollen or red when they are having diarrhea so just keep an eye on his stools.

Topically, over the counter hydrocortisone cream may be applied to the rectum 2-3 times a day.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
is it more than likely a reaction to the vaccine or the dewormer? It hs been two day
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He has solid stools

Hydrocortisone cream is not toxic if he happens to lick it off.

It could be a reaction to the vaccine.

It could also be a reaction to something in the environment or something he ate.

Since he was fine yesterday it is tough to say it was the vaccine or if he is having an allergic reaction to something else.

Glad his stools are normal.

But the benadryl would be the treatment for any sort of vaccine reaction or allergic reaction.

Does that make sense?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We mushed up a stool earlier and it was pink colored inside and looked like it has sesame seeds in it. I assume this s the worms.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it makes sense.

If he was dewormed with praziquantel, for tapeworms, then those could be the dead worms.

Pyrantel would get roundworms, whipworms, and hookworms and those are longer like pieces of spaghetti.

Okay good. Do you have any other questions I may assist you with right now?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Is there anything I shold be watching for that will require an emergency night visit to the animal hospital ? Just want to make sure he is ok. And how long is this likely to last of just a reaction?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It also seems like his lips are red too and pads of his feet

Watch for:

Facial swelling

Trouble breathing

Pale, purple. or abnormal gum color

Lots of vomiting and/or diarrhea

Severe lethargy where will not get up.

Allergic reactions that do not respond to benadryl have to be treated with a cortisone injection to stop the allergic reaction.

There is really no set time where allergic reactions usually resolve.

If it is related to the vaccine he should be better in 24 hours with benadryl.

If he is allergic to something in the environment, and it is still there, then he is going to keep having an allergic reaction.

But hopefully now.

You will have to wait and see.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok great. Long term side effects of these vaccines are my main concern as I do not prefer to get them so this was disconcerting to see. Thank you so much for your time. I appreciate it. .

It may be a good idea to pre-treat him with benadryl an hour before his next vaccine. That will help ward off any allergic reaction.

I would do that.

You are very welcome : )

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian