Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We think my little Chihuahua, Ike, got into a fight with one…

We think my little...

We think my little Chihuahua, Ike, got into a fight with one of our cats. He has a wound on his head and a bulge on his right side.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is Ike bleeding a lot?

No, but he yips anytime we try to pick him up to take him out.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Phew. How old is Ike?

He’s sleeping in his kennel by the fireplace

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ike?

We were able to get him to pee about 6 pm; it’s 8:40 now

3/10/2018
Sarah Snow

I am Dr. Snow, and I can try and help you. Would you be able to take pictures of the wound and the bulge so I can see whats going on?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He sure is sensitive to any touch at all
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ike is about 9 years old
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What do you think?

Ok, I'm looking now. While I'm looking can you check his gums and make sure they are nice and pink and moist?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
His nose is wet but he won’t let me get into his mouth

Ok, thats alright. The wound on the head does not look too serious from the picture. Was he bleeding?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. He wasn’t bleeding

Is the bulge you are referring to where his belly seems to stick out more right behind his ribs on that side?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He did walk around with his tail between his legs around 6 but he hasn’t moved since

I know you want to know whether to take him in now or first thing in the morning, but I just have a couple more questions to try and understand his condition right now. He is cute!

Ok, yeah having his tail tucked like that makes me think he is quite painful.

Is he breathing normally? What is he doing now?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he is. He sleeps with me at night but he’s really my daughter’s dog. He’s a rescue
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He’s breathing normally and he’s resting in his kennel on blankets. We moved the kennel by the fireplace which seems to comfort him

Ok, was he outside unattended at all today? Any other possibility of trauma, like a fall or any contact with a bigger animal than the cat?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. He was inside in the basement today with the cats. Our housecleaning service comes today and we put the pets down there so they don’t get out.

Ok, thats good then. Its never a wrong decision to go in to the emergency vet, however, from what you are telling me he seems stable. If his breathing becomes labored that would be one of the first signs that something is more serious.

I would see your veterinarian first thing in the morning to have him assessed! Don't give him any medication so that nothing will interfere with what your veterinarian wants to prescribe. :)

Let me know if I can help further!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks. He’s not eating or drinking yet. We will take him in first thing

You can try to hand feed him something yummy, like some chicken or even some cottage cheese or plain yogurt. It would be a good sign if he was interested in some food!

Sarah Snow

Let me know if he will take any food!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will do

Hello, how is he?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He’s better. Our vet seemed to think he had suffered a fall or had become entangled in something. He had a fever, too. He is on an antibiotic and prednisone for a couple of days. Thanks for asking

I'm glad to hear hes doing better!

Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow