Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have two dogs and the got into an 11 oz bag of hershey…

I have two dogs...

I have two dogs and the got into an 11 oz bag of hershey kiss hugs and my husband is worried

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

YouYou
i have two dogs and the got into an 11 oz bag of hershey kiss hugs and my husband is worried

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

No they are acting ok so far. I'm not sure if they both ate them or only one. They are about 35 to 40 lb mutts.

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Not they do eat and chew everything they can get into.

3/10/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Thank you

With this ingestion, if one dog ate the entire 11 ounces you may see moderate to more severe symptoms which can include

• Vomiting
  • GI Upset
  • Hyper Tension
  • Hyperactivity
  • Restlessness
  • Abnormal heart rhythms
  • Increased body temperature
  • Muscle tremors

If your dogs ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (i.e. 1 tbsp & 1 tsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

If there is no vomiting induced, tonight please be monitoring for symptoms of vomiting, diarrhea, increased excitement, water intake increase, muscle tremors, lethargy

If you see muscle tremors, vomiting is not subsiding, or hyper excitability then please consider a veterinary er because these can be issues with chocolate toxicity, especially if you think just one is the culprit. But if you see gi upset only then this should pass within the next 24 hours

Typically chocolate toxicity symptoms peak at 4-6 hours so if you pass this mark without symptoms then your dogs should be just fine but taking a few precautions tonight:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days
- Leash walks to help the chocolate pass more readily of >15 minutes
- Tomorrow bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals but waiting at least 12 hours after vomiting has subsided if this symptom is seen

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know who else I can assist you all today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Should we induce vomiting or wait and see?

I would strongly advise inducing vomiting if this occurred in the last 1-2 hours

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you all, truly!

how do we do that?

Were you able to view my original response? I gave this information in detail... if not I can repost...

i just noticed that. my apologies.

No worries, I just wanted to make sure that it popped up with the information you need

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I am going to be exiting for the evening in a few moments but wanted to check in to see if you were able to induce vomiting? Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist with tonight

Good evening, i wanted to check in on your dogs to see if they brought up the kisses and how they are doing today? I would love an update when you are able

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
They wound up being just fine. No vomiting or diarrhea. Thanks for checking.

Thank you for the positive feedback and update! So happy to hear there were no ill effects and best wishes to you in keeping them out of trouble in the future!