Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Akita has hot spots on her back legs and belly again, I…

Customer Question
My Akita has hot...

My Akita has hot spots on her back legs and belly again, I don’t have 1000 dollars again to go see them plz help she not well

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Gracie and she’s 4

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gracie?

She’s all wet from infection in the hotspots

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Sorry to hear Gracie has this problem, " Hot Spot " can be a frustrating problem and uncomfortable for your dog as well of course. There are things you can try though ...

2. I have often known clients independently treat " Hot Spot " on their dogs on an over the counter basis and report success using the likes of 0.5% or 1% Hydrocortisone cream applied twice a day for a week or so. It is important to cut the hair from around the affected area and washing the area with lukewarm salt water and then dabbing it dry with some clean kitchen paper before applying the cream will also help.

3. Of course if these skin lesions do not quickly resolve then you should have your local vet check your dog over as other skin diseases can mimic the appearance of " Hot Spot " But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Gracie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her "Hot Spot "...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?