Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have an 80pound boxador and a 8 pound cheweenie who

Customer Question
I have an 80pound...

I have an 80pound boxador and a 8 pound cheweenie who decided to eat a box of tissues that has vicks and lotion in them. I do not not how many tissues was left in the box it was open and has been used several times. Any conerns - they are acting fine-drinking thier water and I am getting ready to fee them their nightly dry dog food.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

NO 2 dogs

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/10/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that your pups ate a part of a box of tissues infused with Vicks and lotion.

The good news is that tissues are made of paper and that is easily digested by stomach acid.

While lotion is a lubricant and may cause diarrhea it won't cause any long term issues.

Vicks contains petroleum jelly, which is an indigestible lubricant, and menthol. Menthol is a mild irritant, and thus this may also lead to loose stools and possibly some nausea.

In short I would not expect any long term issues, but I would expect diarrhea and maybe some nausea.

It may help to feed a bland diet with fiber to counteract the lubricant and irritant effects.

A homemade bland diet consists of 1/3 boiled hamburger or boiled, plain, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained and 2/3 white rice. Add 1 (Chiweenie) to 3 (Boxador) tablespoons of fresh cooked or canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber to prevent or lessen diarrhea. Feed small meals several times a day.

Once they feel better then start mixing in their regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take a week to get them converted back to regular food.

If even with the bland diet they start vomiting and/or having uncontrollable diarrhea and/or refusing to eat they should be seen by a veterinarian.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian