Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is breaking out with lacerations on her body on her…

Customer Question
My dog is breaking...

My dog is breaking out with lacerations on her body on her sides, legs, paws, hindquarters what would be the best remedy ??? thank you

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is your dog bleeding a lot?

Not really bleeding but its open

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Abigail 20 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Abigail?

No I don't think so I did have her to the vet for this same issue they did every test you can think of but could not diagnose the problem the vet prescribed a antibiotic and a shampoo it did clear it all up but came back a month or so later

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/10/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Steven Hicks, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Steven Hicks
Steven Hicks, Dog Veterinarian

Good evening. Let me see if I can help. It sounds like Abigail may have a skin allergy. Was she treated with an antihistamine such as benadryl the last time this happened, or just antibiotics and shampoo?

no just antibiotic and shampoo
no

Benadryl may help, however, if the reaction is too severe a steroid and/or antibiotics from your veterinarian may be necessary. Was any testing done for allergies?

every test possible was done

I assume that includes a skin test for allergies and skin scrapings? If those tests were negative, Benadryl may not work well, but there is no harm in trying it at a dose of 1 milligram per pound twice a day. An autoimmune skin disease is another possibility and often doesn't show up in standard testing. If that's what Abigail has, then I suspect this may require additional medications such as a steroid and a stronger antibiotic. Frequent bathing in a medicated shampoo will help any skin condition regardless of the cause.