Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our dogs ate some of my daughters homemade. No salt, two…

Our dogs ate some...

Our dogs ate some of my daughters homemade slime. No salt, two ingredients

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Concern Borax an metal acrylic.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Mint 37 lbs and Zoey 21 lbs.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How long ago did this happen { How many minutes or hours ago }?

2. Can you give me an indication how much of this slime may have been swallowed?

20 minutes ago. 2-3 to table spoons

Got it thanks, ***** ***** by, typing up your answer now ...

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. There seems to be a bit of a craze on with this sort of " slime " at the moment. The main concern here is the Borax which can be toxic to dogs, but only in much larger amounts than are in question with your dogs today, all that I would expect with this sort of incident { If anything } would be a mild transient bout of vomiting and/or diarrhoea then recovery over a 1 to 2 hour period, that's about the worst that will happen.

2. Given the above, all you need do is just to monitor your dogs for the present. But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if either your dog's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Thanks Dr Scott! We've gotten quite attached to these whippet pups. We're happy to hear the news isnt dire.
We appreciate it.

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dogs are getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the "slime" incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian