Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My female boxer mix just threw up a large amount of bright…

My female boxer mix...

My female boxer mix just threw up a large amount of bright yellow liquid. She did not eat breakfast. She is a neutered 9 year old and this is not common for her. She is diabetic, diagnosed 3 years ago and on detimir. She has never thrown up just liquid. Naturally it was in front of patio door on the carpet and the content has a distinct marking effect. No odor.It is almost 5 pm on spring break week. Should I panic or just relax and accept a sore tummy? Thank you. Audrey***@******.***

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Boxer?

Her last exam, one month ago, we were told her diabetic numbers were good and she is well controlled. She is not due for another "curve" for another month, She is a happy loving dog, but content to nap today .

3/9/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

She just vomited the one time?

Paul

Okay

And has she had her insulin tonight? Dinner?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
she just vomited one time and is napping does not seem to be uncomfortable and is responsive to calling and coming.

Great

And her Insulin and dinner?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She has not had dinner yet and she was not interested in any lunch. No she has not had any insulin since dinner last night. I am under the impression that if she does not eat she should not need the insulin. If she does not eat an entire meal, I am to give her only half the amount of insulin. I can feed her now, but usually doesn't eat until we do.
she is a family eater.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just gave her her bowl but she is pushing it away with her nose. Now she is leaving the room. And getting a drink of water.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She has returned to the living and jumped on the couch.

Yes feed her now and based on what she eats we will decide on the insulin dosage.

Oh- just got your second message

Okay this can be an issue if she is not eating anything

Lets try feeding her when you eat

In the mean time lets give Zantac at 1.0 mg/kg three times daily to settle her stomach

Sound like a plan?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, sounds like a plan. It was the color that was alarming me. I guess that doesn't seem to be an immediate concern. I will spoil her for dinner and we will carry on. Thank you for the help. If behavior continues I will take her to our vet or even the vet school if over the weekend if necessary. Thank you Dr. Paul

You are very welcome

Please update me after dinner

And you can rate me now- I will leave this link open for you :)

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Regarding: "In the mean time lets give Zantac at 1.0 mg/kg three times daily to settle her stomach" I have been to the Pharmacy and the lowest strength Zantac available over the counter is 75mg/tablet. Pharmacist indicated that even RX liquid would be greater than 1.0mg????? I have missed something in the directions. We will have dinner and see if she will eat. If you mean her weight, and I think you do, she weighs a little over 60 pounds so would the 75mg Tablet 3x daily be OK? I could cut a little off or add to. Sorry, but thank you. No more vomiting..

How heavy is she?

Paul

Sorry- just saw 60 pound

Yes you can give 1/2 of a 75.0 mg Zantac three times daily :)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dinner was a success. She ate her normal amount of Purina lamb and rice chow, 1cup. She also had a scrambled egg,some fried rice and a little fish and broccoli.About 4 TBS. and 1 milk bone. Had to hand feed her to get her started but she licked her bowl clean. Her normal detimir injection is 4.5 units.2x daily. I am prepared to give her that amount since she has consumed her normal amount for her evening feeding. Tomorrow hopefully she will consume the same amount of food and she will receive another injection of detimir, 4.5 units. She has had no more vomiting. However, she is lying down again. Will give Zantac 3x daily. I wiill wait fir your response before giving the insulin. Thank you.

Good stuff!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did the rating on Friday night and Kate doing well today. Thank you very much.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did the rating on Friday night, I am not interested in live phone communication, and she is doing well. Thank you very much.

Excellent news!

Thanks for the update

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian