How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 23146
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

She consumed a bunch of M&Ms about 4 hours ago. She is a pug

Customer Question

Hello. She consumed a bunch of M&Ms about 4 hours ago.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: She is a pug - at about 22lbs
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: and I don't know the exact amount she ate - but I know it is not more than 16 oz - and I know it was less than that but I don't know how much less She has vomited quite a bit but that has subsided over the last hour - but she does have occasional mild tremors - but these are lessening
JA: OK. No obvious pain. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Mona. She is 13. Well vomiting from eating the chocolate - M&Ms
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mona?
Customer: Just the tremors .... her breathing isn't excessive or anything - is there a charge for this?
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
She has not collapsed or anything. She did seem to be unsteady a couple times but nothing significant so I am wondering if it is because she was walking in very deep snow.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 months ago.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

Good news, I very much doubt if this incident is going to adversely affect Mona very much, this was, in fact, a chocolate overdose, but only a minor one, she may suffer minor symptoms such as vomiting and/or diarrhoea and tremors over the next 24 hours, but I would not expect worse than that, then she should recover. So really all you need do for now is just to keep an eye on her, but let's talk things over in more depth ...

1. The rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate Mona's weight as being in the region of 22 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 15.4 ozs. As I said this is an overdose but only a minor one if she did swallow 16 ozs.

2. The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits, but this would be very unlikely in Mona's case.. Of course, you should call your vet without delay if any serious symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

3. Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject: LINK

4. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Mona's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When she is walking around she is having difficulty balancing and walking a lot. She moves slowly and is not steady but does not collapse. Does this change anything in your answer?
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 months ago.

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

No, this sounds like additional symptoms of a very minor episode of chocolate toxicity, the chances are she will slowly return to normal over the next 24 hours or so ...

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 months ago.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your Pug is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the M&Ms incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...