Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog was diagnosed with polymyositis, also called

extraocular myositis, from an allergic...
my dog was diagnosed with polymyositis, also called extraocular myositis, from an allergic reaction. The vet told me allergic reactions are almost never from food. I had added a small amount of new food into her bag of regular Canidae around the time it started. After treatment with prednisone it is almost gone. I also started using a new bag of food. Can I use the open bag of Canidae? Is my vet right that it is almost never from food? I don't want to waste a $60 bag of food but if it could make the problem come back I will just toss it. Thanks.
3/9/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Your vet should have clarified that food intolerance is far more common than food allergy. These disorders have different metabolic pathways. Neither, however, have been incriminated in extraocular myositis which has been found to be an autoimmune disorder responsive to a glucocorticoid such as presnisone. I wouldn't hesitate to feed that open bag of Canidae. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Ok I understand. Is the cause of the disorder known? Is there anything I should do differently in my house to reduce the chance if it coming back ?

No, it remains idiopathic (unknown cause) although there appears to be a genetic basis because certain breeds are over-represented: German shepherds and very young Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. There would be nothing to do in the environment to prevent relapse. Most important is to not stop treatment too soon. It is often necessary to maintain dogs on a low-dose alternate day oral prednisone therapy to prevent relapses. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

ok, my only problem with that is the prednisone makes her feel sick / act strange. She doesn't want to be touched, growls if you do, sometimes even bites, makes her eat double what she normally does, and makes her lathargic and shed. Is there another treatment?

There is, yes. Dogs unable to receive prednisone or showing unacceptable side effects in response to prednisone may instead benefit from administration of azathioprine (1-2 mg/kg orally daily) - another immunosuppressive drug.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.