Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 19 year old Miniture Poodle got a extreme hair cut at the…

My 19 year old Miniture...
My 19 year old Miniture Poodle got a extreme hair cut at the groomers last week. He's been shaking and quivering ever since. He's been wearing T shirts indoors and a coat when outside. He seems to be sleeping a little more than average. He's eating normally.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about your little one. These little ones can become a little more chilled out when they have their coat cut short and they aren't used to it. If he's on the thin side, then he doesn't have the same insulation from body fat. Is he drinking normally? Urinating normally? Are there any irritated areas on his skin?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He's eating and drinking. Je urination is normal.

That is good that everything else is going as well as it should. In his situation, more than likely what is needed is time for him to grow back some of his normal insulation and to continue to try and keep him in warmer areas. His sleeping more than normal, I wouldn't be overly alarmed with this as long as everything else is going well.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do yoi have any suggestions to keep him warm. He's currently wrapped in a blanket, wearing a coat and T shirt. I'm going to look for his cap. Shoulf I try warm milk or soup?

I would feel that having his environment warm and the T-shirt should be plenty. I wouldn't try to feed him anything warm.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you.

I am hoping he gets back to normal soon! I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian