Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Large raw-looking growths on his tummy. Cash. He is about 11…

Large raw-looking growths on...

Large raw-looking growths on his tummy

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?

Cash. He is about 11 y.o. sorry...8 y.o.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cash?

It started out looking like blisters on his belly that the animal control man that picked him up in December described them as blood blisters. I brought Cash (pit bull mix) inside my house thinking they would get better, but this past month has gotten much worse I do have an appointment with the vet tomorrow. I was just trying to do some research to figure out what the heck was going on.

3/9/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear about this situate with Cash. Can you post a picture here of what you're seeing? The paper clip icon can be used to attach them.

at the moment I can't. I can't even find an internet picture to represent what I am seeing.

Ok. First off, it is very good that you have the appointment set up for tomorrow with your vet. This will ultimately get the answer and the course of therapy set in place for this. Could these growths be areas of infection that have be persistent and productive due to the inflammation that is there? Could the be actual growths due to proliferation of abnormal tissue that secondarily has become infected? What they may want to do tomorrow is biopsy / remove one of these depending on the location and size. They may start up a course of antibiotics to see what the response is to that. Could these be not worrisome growths? Could the be more aggressive growths?

they look pretty bad. They are large. There are maybe three of them. One on his penis and the other two in close proximity.

That picture is actually one I recognize from one of the sites I've been on before. I think that one is a histiocytoma growth. If he has these pretty big growths, then I'm most suspicious that the course of action that will be put out there is surgically removing them.

I feel like he would feel better if they were gone. He will let me touch them, but he does guard the area if that makes sense.

I can understand that. That is good that they aren't painful to the touch. I bet having them removed will help his overall disposition as they probably are physically causing inflammation where they are at. The skin most likely is irritated and all.

Ok thank you!

I'm hoping for the best for Cash! I hope the appointment tomorrow goes well. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian