Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has about a golf ball sized hard lump on the upper part…

She has about a...

She has about a golf ball sized hard lump on the upper part of her neck, it just appeared recently. I noticed it after I finished giving her a bath a couple minutes ago. Could that happen if i had gotten water in her ears?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?

Shibu and she is about 9 1/2 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Shibu?

She has very irritated skin, and is constantly scratching and itching. She use to stay with my parents when me and my husband went to school and work. I think she may have been allergic to their carpet, because we have hardwood floors, and she doesn't do it at our house at all.

3/9/2018
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Shibu today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

Is the lump under her chin?

Is it firm or soft?

Does it seem painful to her?

Is it under the skin (skin moves over it) or is it on top of the skin (it moves with the skin)?

The lump is firm, and under skin. It doesn't seem painful, she doesn't wince or anything when it is messed with. I was told by our old vet that if I found a lump on her and could grab it and it come away from her to where i could feel under it not to worry, and that is what this one is like, but i wanted to get a second opinion due to her older age.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that idea of it being nothing to worry about if you can grab it a move it away from her as some lumps under the skin can be serious.

It is impossible to diagnose most lumps just by the way they look or feel, but there are other ways to determine the seriousness of the lump.

There is a test called a fine needle aspirate (FNA) which can be performed by collecting a sample of cells from the mass with a needle and then examining under the microscope. This can usually be done right in the clinic. It is not always definitive enough to let you know the exact cause of the lump, but it may help to make the decision of if anything else needs to be done, like surgical removal. Some growths are easily identified as benign and that is all that needs to be done unless the growth is of a size to be bothering the her.

thank you

If the lump is not going away or if it continues to grow, I would definitely have her evaluated by your vet and have them analyze it with a needle aspirate.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen.

petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Thank you kindly for the positive rating. It is truly appreciated.