Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Maltipoo is usually picky when eating and now doesn't…

My Maltipoo is usually...

My Maltipoo is usually picky when eating and now doesn't seem to have any appetite. She is lively and doesn't show any other signs of being sick. Could you please give me some pointers? Thank you, ***** *****

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** years.

3/9/2018
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Nana today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

Can you tell me how long she has been refusing to eat?

Have you tried to offer her anything besides her dog food to entice her?

When was the last time she had a bowel movement? Was it normal in appearance?

If you are receiving an offer for a phone consultation, please note that it is not from me. It is autogenerated by the site. I am not able to offer phone consultations at this time, but would be happy to continue chatting with you here.

Her bowls look pretty good, but alternate from being tiny to that of being full blown. It is not of watery consistency.

I have found she does well on Cesar, but has turned up her nose on that right now.

Have you tried offering her any human food?

No, but I would if I knew what to feed her.

Well she may just be being picky and is not wanting to eat the cesar food or it may be that she has an upset stomach and may not want to eat anything that she is offered. To find that out, you could offer a small meal of something very digestible for her. These would include items like boiled hamburger or chicken and rice or pasta. No sauces or gravies, but a little non greasy broth would be OK.

Thank you, ***** ***** do that. I appreciate your suggestions. Certainly will call again. Have a good day.

If she eats that and keeps it down without vomiting, you could continue with frequent small meals over the next 24-36 hours and then try to wean her back to her normal diet. If she doesn't want to eat even the homecooked diet or if she vomits, she may not be feeling well and should be examined by your veterinarian.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen.

petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Thank you again, and I will do the rating (5 stars) above.

Thank you kindly for the positive rating. It is truly appreciated.