Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 1 year old MAY have ingested a triple a battery in past…

My 1 year old...

My 1 year old MAY have ingested a triple a battery in past 25 minutes. Gave her hydrogen peroxide- no battery in vomit. Should I induce again just to be sure?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Golden retrievet

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Golden?

Sybil one year and 2 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Golden?

She brought me one battery not chewed on but there may have been more. She got into a room that's not dog proof.

3/9/2018
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Sybil.

Please give me just a few minutes to type back a response for you. Deb

Ok

I wouldn't suggest that you give more peroxide in an attempt to retrieve any batteries she might have eaten for the following reason:

If she chewed on the battery, then and it's corrosive going down, it's corrosive coming back up and damage can be done to the esophagus and structures in her mouth. Of course, if she didn't chew on it, there's no danger but we don't know if she did or not.

Obviously, there are different types of batteries but all carry the potential for causing harm. For example, if a dog chews on an acidic dry cell, they tend to drop it right away because they feel the burn; limited damage is done. However, with alkaline, the patient does not feel the burn. The dog is just chewing and chewing and chewing, and it can result in a severe liquefaction necrosis, and this can cause deeply penetrating ulcers.

What I'd suggest you do if call your vet and take her in for an x-ray to determine if she did, indeed, swallow a battery. Then treatment options can be discussed to retrieve it.

I hope this helps, Deb

Ik

Best of luck with her; I hope she didn't actually swallow any but just wanted to carry the one in her mouth. deb

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Sybil. How is she doing? Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian