Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 15 lb schnauzer ingesting a small amount of Final rat…

Hi! My 15 lb...

Hi! My 15 lb schnauzer ingesting a small amount of Final rat poisoning last night. I took him to an emergency clinic where they induced vomiting and prescribed toxiban w/ sorbitol. I didnt find out what brand of poison was used until today so will i need to return to my normal vet for vitamin k?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what the Schnauzer ate?

Yes I caught him in the act, he barely scraped the surface of it. Pest control was irresponsible in placement of the poison.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Schnauzer?

It was Final rat poisoning an anti coagulant

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

When ER vet made him vomit did they see the bait in the vomit?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
they saw small bits of it come up
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There was just teeth marks and a few scrapes on the poison itself so not much would have been ingested in the first place

I am sorry for the delay in response I had some technical problems at this end.

Friend, if there was only teeth marks on the bait then it is very likely that he did not ingest enough of the bait to be toxic. In addition, if ER vet made him vomit and saw the bait in the vomit less likely to be toxic. So, based on what you describe it does not sound like your dog is at risk of toxicity, he will be fine. If you are not certain of how much bait he ate then he should be treated with Vitamin K1.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you!

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian