Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We went for a walk to the park about 5hr ago and I've just…

We went for a...

We went for a walk to the park about 5hr ago and I've just noticed his left eyelid is swollen he's made a fuss or been scratching it just sitting in the sun by the window for the last couple of hours he was rolling around on the grass this morning at the park

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Barney - 5yr in july hes a basneji X chihuaha 22lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Barney?

No hes in perfect health all shots had up to date, no issues had a bee-sting on his lip almost 2yr ago that swelled up but no adverse reaction once it was removed

3/9/2018
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Is it the skin of the eyelid and around it that is swollen, or is the swelling more the tissue under the eyelid?

Is he pawing at it or rubbing it?

Any discharge from the eye? If so, please describe it.

Is it possible for you to take a picture of the eye and post it or attach it to your next message?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
are you still working on this?

Thanks for the pictures. You cannot rule out an allergic reaction, but it looks more like just the upper lid is swollen. If I am wrong about that, let me know. There is a good change he got bit by something or had accidental trauma there. Sometimes they do get blocked hair follicles or infected hair follicles on the eyelid that results in a blepharitis that may require oral antibiotics. With something like that, I would usually put some Neosporin on it twice daily and see how it is doing in 24 hours. If it is not looking any better or getting worse at anytime, then your vet may need to check it out more and see if something needs to be done. In most cases, it is safe to give Benadryl at 12.5 mg (1 teaspoon of children's dose or 1/2 of an adult dose tablet) per 10-15 lbs of body weight every 8-12 hours. Certain eye, heart, lung and prostate problems may make Benadryl contraindicated, but that is not common. As with any human medication, I always recommend checking with your vet to make sure there is nothing in the history to make it contraindicated for him/her. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok thankyou - i'll try neosporin, it does just look like he has an allergic reaction

You are very welcome. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian