Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a one year old Springer Spaniel, she is noticeably…

Hi I have a...

Hi I have a one year old Springer Spaniel, she is noticeably very thin, but is extremely active. I have purchased active dog food to boost her calorie intake. Today she has had sickness and diarrhoea and is not herself this evening. She is also off her food.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Lola age 12months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lola?

She does eat a lot of stones that worries us

3/9/2018
Tom Crippen
Tom Crippen, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'm a veterinarian. Hopefully I will be able to help. Vomiting and diarrhoea are the commonest things we see dogs for and the vast majority of cases are due to dietry indiscretion(eaten somehthing they shouldn't) or an infectious cause. However sometimes we do see cases caused by other things, so yes foreign bodies like stones, toxin ingestion, organ problems etc.

Couple of questions, is she up to date with her vaccinations? Is there any blood in the diarrhoea and vomit and also how many times has she vomited?

Thanks

Tom Crippen BVSc MRCVS

(Please don't forget to rate me!)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She is up to date with vaccinations and no blood in diarrhoea or vomit
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She has vomitted twice today and then again after just water. She hasn’t vomitted for 3 hours now and has eaten a small amount of chicken

Thanks for the reply. It is good she hasn't vomited for 3 hours and she has eaten. It would be likely if she had a foreign body she would continue to vomit. Most of the time you don't get diarrhoea with a stone lodged but not always, I have seen this before as the more liquid faeces can squeeze past the blockage.

When did you start the new food?

I think from the perspective of a veterinarian we can't say there isn't a blockage without doing xrays or ultrasound. I think leaving something like a foreign body can be serious as it can cause damage to the stomach or intestine.

I think it's less likely in her but still a possibility so seeing a veterinarian may be advisable at least they could have a feel of her abdomen at that point, we can tell quite a bit from doing that.

With her being thin - have her faeces been completely normal since she was a pup? Sometimes we do see issues with absorption of food from the gut in young dogs leading to them being skinny. These can be tested for if she continues to not put on weight after increasing her calorie intake.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The new food has arrived today as we have become very aware of her weight. We haven’t started it due to the diarrhoea and vomiting. She has had bouts of diarrhoea from time to time but with rice and chicken diet for a couple of days, she has soon recovered. We were more concerned this time as she seems so skinny and I don’t like to see her miss meals when we were so intent on building her up

Ah ok, sometimes starting a new diet can lead to vomiting and diarrhoea so we can count that out.

I would certainly if she continues to struggle to put on condition speak to your veterinarian about testing her as there is quite a lot we can do these days for things like this, it usually intially involfes faecal testing, bloods and ultrasound.

In the short term the fact she's thin to me doesn't necessaily add any more worry to her current vomiting and diarrhoea. Missing a few meals won't make much difference. With regard to taking things in we worry more about hydration, initially anyway.

Thanks, Tom

Tom Crippen
Tom Crippen, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** feel less worried tonight now

No problem. I think I would certainly keep an eye on her. If her vomiting continues then I would certainly see a veterinarian asap.

Thanks, Tom

(Please rate my answers)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Tom Crippen
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi she is much better thank you, ***** ***** for all your help

:)

Tom Crippen
Tom Crippen
Tom Crippen, Dog Veterinarian