Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 15 week old puppy has just been in great pain, his penis…

My 15 week old...

My 15 week old puppy has just been in great pain, his penis was fully out and appeared stuck , he is a border collie and never sits still but he was in great pain and just let me cuddle him, it has now retracted but should I take him to see a vet in the morning....I have had puppies before and never experienced this problem

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the Border Collie's name?

Zach

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the puppy?

No, he is up to date with his vaccinations and is due his last next week,

3/9/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about Zach. I want to make sure I have the best picture here. The penis is back in the sheath and he's now resting pretty comfortably? If you give him a treat, will he eat it?

he took a treat and seems back to almost normal, just still a little subdued,
I have a major concern but I don't like this site asking for more money, I will take Zach to my vet in the morning.

I'm sorry about the "prompt for the phone call" as that was the system and not myself. If his penis is back in, then the situation should be one that doesn't need further care. The problems are there if it stays out. If he's comfortable, eating, urinating normally and able to rest - then it would seem the worst is over.

Thank you, ***** ***** still take Zach to the vet in the morning, this episode lasted over half an hour and was so painful for him, I hoped you could explain what had happened
Not entirely sure I will use this service again but many thanks for at least responding

What could have happened was he was stimulated by something, his penis came out and became engored (like normal) and then some hair at the tip of the prepuce caused some friction and didn't let it go back in as easily as it should. I have an 8 month old Havanese puppy and this happened to him just last week at my house when he was playing with a toy.

What can help to get the penis back in when it is "stuck" out is cold water being placed on it. My own pup, we held him under the sink and dribbled cold water onto the penis to help constrict the blood vessels to get it to shrink and go back in. With a bigger dog, a turkey baster squirting cold water (ice cubes in a bowl with cold water works awesome) on it can be used. Do this in a bath tub or outside.

I again can't control the "prompt for the phone call" as that is the system. I hope that I've helped in a little way here at this time. For my own dog, we have to just not let him get overly excited with his toys.

Thank you, ***** ***** now given me advice on what has happened, how to deal with it, reassurance that I shouldn't panic and worth spending the money to ask you a question instead of contacting my vet out of hours.
We all love our our animals and that is why we pay for advice out of our vets hours, this site needs to stop the pop ups asking for more money.
I appreciate your help and professional opinion and indeed your personal experience regarding your puppy, at least I am not phoning my vet out of hours!

:) I'm glad to have helped out. The penis getting stuck out is called a paraphimosis. It can happen when they get overly stimulated again. When it happened with my puppy at my house, my 7 year old daughter was there to help out with the "situation" too. She so wants to be a vet and she just had to help out. She's spent a few nights with me on my overnight shifts at the ER and she thought it was so cool. I told her to not be overly sharing with her classmates that her puppy had his privates stuck out as they might not be ready for hearing that. She's pretty mature for her age. I hope all goes well for Zach! Take care.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Thank you again, I have to admit to being a little concerned at the beginning that I had perhaps made the wrong decision in using this service, but as our conversations continued you really have given me the guidance I needed. If it happens again to Zach I now know what to do.
I hope your daughter does follow in your footsteps, it takes a very special person to dedicate their life to helping animals at a vetinary level, many thanks for your help

:) I'm glad again to have helped out. Sorry for the initial confusion and pop ups. How is Zach doing today? My daughter is a special young girl and I fully anticipate passing on a lot of knowledge to her!

Zach is good today thank you and has experienced a few new things today that will hopefully make him a well adjusted young dog, except he had hiccups this morning and has decided I am the great healer judging by his need for reassurance!
If you know anything about chickens, I have a small flock of 6, I may well be using your services again.
Lovely to hear about your daughter and your aspirations for her, I remember everything my father ever told me about life, never underestimate how special a bond a father and daughter have and what she will hold dear forever.

I'm lacking in the chicken care department! I can help with some very basic things there, but there are other experts here with more experience in that category. The best thing you can do for Zach is to continue to expose him to many new things. The more he sees at this young of age, the more comfortable he gets and the better socialized he is. Keep pushing his bubble to be expanded. The best thing my daughter has ever said to me was on a camp out this past fall when the family was all around the campfire. She said to her mom (when talking about how she met me) that she wanted to marry someone just like daddy. That melted my heart coming from my 7 year old daughter. She's got me wrapped around her finger.