Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Huge stomach and tight on my 15 year old boxer pit mix. Huge…

Huge stomach and tight...

Huge stomach and tight on my 15 year old boxer pit mix.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

Well he’s old so he hurts in back legs but stomach is huge and tight.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the dog's name and age?

Tank 15 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Tank

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tank?

He might be ready to be put to rest

3/9/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about this situation with Tank. Is he acting distressed? Is he trying to vomit / vomiting / retching? How long has his stomach been like this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not trying to vomit no. Not acting distressed really cause he can’t really walk easily. Back legs have little mobility cause of age.

How long has stomach been like this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I noticed it a week ago or so. Just naturally got larger I guess. Kinda gradually.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He’s 15. I’m pretty sure I should put him down at this point but didn’t want to if he had a chance. Just not looking great. He’s sleeping now however.

Alright. I was worried that the tight stomach just started right now and that could be a very critical situation where the stomach twists. IF it has been getting bigger over that longer period of time, it could be like this due to fluid accumulating in his abdomen or due to a growth there. I fully understand wanting to give him a chance. What would be nice is to have an x-ray of his belly done if you can do that. That can help shed a lot of light on the situation. IF he's still eating ok, comfortable, not in pain, not breathing with increased rate / effort - then it wouldn't seem that a quality of life issue is right now at hand.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
DrRoyC
Phone call session started
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian