Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I think she has a sprained wrist, it is a bit swollen

I think she has...

I think she has a sprained wrist, it is a bit swollen compared to the other one and she is limping and avoiding using that leg. I am currently laying with her and icing it to see if it gets better. Is there an anti-inflamatory medicine she can have?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Luci, she is a 4 month old lab mix. She was playing with our larger dogs and she got stepped on when she was underneath them

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Luci?

4 mo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Luci?

No she is a very healthy puppy besides what just happened

3/9/2018
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

When did the injury happen?

The one over the counter pain medication she could take is aspirin.

The aspirin has to be given with a meal or it can cause gastrointestinal upset.

Try to give it with a meal.

5 mg per pound every 12 hours.

Whenever a pet is not bearing weight, and there is swelling, there could be a fracture or a joint infection.

So, it would be a really good idea to take her to the vet for an x-ray.

If you can take her today, or tomorrow morning, to the regular vet when there are open it will cost much less than going to the emergency clinic over the weekend.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Last night. About 14 houra ago

Try to give it with a meal.

5 mg per pound every 12 hours.

If it happened 14 hours ago, and there is swelling and not putting weight on it, then she should have an x-ray today if possible.

Does that make sense to you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
absolutely thank you

Glad to help. If it is a fracture they most likely will put a little splint on. Puppies fractures usually heal quickly.

You are very welcome : )

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That is good to know. We will get her taken in

Perfect. Thank you.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian