Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is having some red itchy spots. Finn, he is 2 and a half…

Customer Question
He is having some...

He is having some red itchy spots

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Finn, he is 2 and a half years old. I believe he is a Yorkie or a mix of a yorkie. He is 7.3 lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Finn?

Nope. He is otherwise healthy. I gave him a shower earlier then noticed the spots. There’s like 3-4 in belly area and one in his back maybe an inch or two before his tail. I think they’re hot spots?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/9/2018
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Finn today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

How large are the spots?

Are they dry or moist?

Photo worked

Thanks for the photo. I am typing a reply now.

What it looks like Finn may be experiencing is what is called a pyoderma or a skin infection. These can cause spots as you describe as well as itch. They are often secondary to underlying allergies in dogs which also can make his skin itch. Dogs can be allergic to various things including environmental allergens, food ingredients and fleas. In young dogs especially, we also have to be concerned with the possibility of mange mites that live in the hair follicles being an underlying factor.

What he needs is an exam by your veterinarian so that these things can be ruled out and the proper medicine may be prescribed. If there is an infection, he will need at least 3 weeks of an oral antibiotic. Many of these dogs will also need a short course of steroid to break the itch cycle in some cases. In cases where the sores are widespread as you describe, topical treatments are not usually effective and oral antibiotics are needed.

In the meantime, there are a few things that may help and certainly won't hurt. An antiseptic shampoo from the pet store can decrease the bacteria and yeast if they are present. I like the product called Hexedene® because it contains chlorhexidine which is effective on bacteria and yeast. Any other chlorhexadine containing shampoo is fine, but many need a prescription.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen.