Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I’ve just seen that my dog has a small patch of fur missing…

Hello I’ve just seen that...
Hello I’ve just seen that my dog has a small patch of fur missing from his front leg on the bend (joint) at the front. This skin looks a little dry and the fur surrounding slightly damp as if he’s licked it. I’m not sure how long it has been there as I’ve only just noticed it when he’s sitting with his paw bent inwards and it’s quite small. Any ideas what could be causing this? Thank you
3/9/2018
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Is the skin there red? Can you take a picture for me?

Thank you. That looks like a superficial skin infection commonly known as a "hot spot."

It usually starts with a break in the skin that allows bacteria to enter.

A bug bite can do it as well.

Then the dog licks it and it becomes moist and infected.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
a trip to the vets for treatment or is this something that’s treatable at home? Thank you!

Licking it can prevent healing and can make it worse. So, it is a good idea to put a cone collar, e-collar, or inner tube collar on him until it is healed over and the hair is growing back. They sell those types of collars at petsmart and online.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will the sore itself heal on its own or will he need antibiotics/cream to help it heal?

Topically you can apply over the counter benadryl and hydrocortisone cream mixed together. Apply it 2-3 times a day.

Over the counter benadryl can be given at a dose of 1mg per pound every 12 hours.

For example a 25 pound dog can be given 25 mg of benadryl every 12 hours.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how long should we treat him with creams before taking him to the vets if it doesn’t heal with the cream/cone combination?

If you do the collar to prevent the licking, apply the neosporin-hydrocortisone, and give the benadryl there should be improvement in 48 hours. If there is not, then he needs to see the vet.

It most likely is going to take 1-2 weeks until the skin start to look normal and the hair starts to grow back.

Does that help? Do you have any other questions I may assist you with?

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much for your advice I will buy the items tomorrow and monitor him for the next 48 hours.

You are very welcome. : )

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian