Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Open sore at the base of her tail, and is oozing

Open sore at the...

Open sore at the base of her tail, and is oozing maggots...can't afford to go to a vet, even if I could get to one..

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

DeeDee, a cross of many different types 13 yo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about DeeDee?

Was a wandering street dog in Mesa Arizona, rescued and I've been her partner for a little over three years, no other health issues aside from onset of arthritis

3/9/2018
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

I normally take a syringe and 3% hydrogen peroxide and flush the wound over and over until all the maggots are out.

Then, when the area is dry put neosporin antibiotic ointment on it twice a day to help fight infection.

Okay, old sore on her tail, just kind of exploded to open wound in last day or so

Keep her inside so the flies can not lay the maggots in the wound again until it heals up.

Okay, have everything needed and will do...thank you so very much.

Yes, that happens sometimes. Maggots are yucky but you should be able to flush them out with peroxide.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

You are very welcome. : )