Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Vets only please. My 10 year old Rottweiler has had diarrhea…

Vets only please. My 10...
Vets only please. My 10 year old Rottweiler has had diarrhea since Wednesday night. I think it's from adding grass-fed ground beef to her kibble. This is something new I started to do in hopes of switching over completely to homemade diet (using a recipe my vet gave me). My other Rottie who was switched to kibble and grass-fed beef too hasn't had diarrhea but lots of gas and stomach gurgling.So she got a bit of diarrhea the first day I added beef that was 85 percent lean Sunday, then got better to totally solid stool, then got diarrhea again when I gave ground grassfed beef that wasn't 85 percent lean. She is going outside now every 4 hours or so, then has a break at the end of the day and then starts again at 3 and then at 6 at night. We don't get to sleep a lot lately. She is drinking and active and alert.She gets 1 prilosec a day for acid reflux and I have been giving her kaolin/pectin twice a day since yesterday. I haven't changed her to a bland diet of rice because to me that defeats the purpose of getting used to this new diet. Also, rice seems to make her reflux worst.She had bloodwork and urinalysis done in November and all looked good. Saw the vet on Feb 6 for rabies shot and looked healthy to the vet. So here are my questions:1) Should I start a bland diet? If so, any alternative to using rice? How can I switch again to ground beef?
2) Should I try giving Imodium? and how much? Last time she went through a diet change the Imodium was the only medicine to stop her diarrhea which lasted for like almost a week. She does really bad with diet changes.
3) Is Imodium safe to give if she is taking Prilosec?
Thanks!
3/9/2018
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Thanks.

1) Should I start a bland diet? If so, any alternative to using rice? How can I switch again to ground beef?

I would fast her for 12 hours to let her gastrointestinal tract rest. During the fast she can have all the water she wants but no food.

Then start with one bite of the plain cooked ground beef mixed with rice or pasta. That is how you can introduce the beef.

If she has diarrhea after eating one bite of the beef and rice/pasta then she probably needs to see a vet because there is a good chance the food change altered the normal flora in her intestines and the bad bacteria took over to cause diarrhea.

I would not do immodium because if you stop the diarrhea, and she has an intestine infection that releases toxins, then the toxins end up being released into her blood stream.

You can give pepto bismol. 1/3 tablet or 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of dog every 12 hours.
3) Is Imodium safe to give if she is taking Prilosec? Normally, yes. But in this case I would not use it because if she has an infection it would release toxins.

I would call the vet and see if you can drop off a fecal sample to see if she has abnormal bacteria in her stool and she needs an antibiotic called "metronidazole" to resolve it. Best to get it taken care of before the weekend. Because if her condition declines, you may end up at the emergency clinic.

Does that help? Do you have any other questions?

I have been giving kaolin/ pectin (product for dogs with diarrhea) twice a day, but it really says to give every 4 hours. It also says it may take up to 48 hours to work. Should I continue to the kaolin/pectin and give it more frequently or switch to the pepto? If so, I have liquid pepto how much for 80 pound dog? thanks!

I think at this point I would try the pepto. It sounds like the kaolin product is not helping much.

An 80 pound dog would take 8 teaspoons of pepto bismol.

You are welcome. If you have any other questions feel free to reply again.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Hi Jenna,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Petruzza. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby