Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I just paid the 5 dollars. Brandy has a lump on outside of…

Customer Question
I just paid the...

I just paid the 5 dollars

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

Brandy has a lump on outside of her throat

Veterinarian's Assistant: Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?

Brandy 7rs

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Brandy?

7 yrs

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/9/2018
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Brandy today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

How long has the lump been there? Is it growing rapidly?

Is it raised above the skin?

Does the lump move with the skin?

I noticed yesterday, the lump moves with the skin, and It appears not raised above the skin. Brandy eats well and drinks water and plays well. I noticed last week she threw up and was a bit sad and yesterday I touched her throat and noticed the lump. I bathed her last week and did not notice the bump.
no thank you

If you are receiving an offer for a phone consultation, please note that it is not from me. It is autogenerated by the site. I am not able to offer phone consultations at this time, but would be happy to continue chatting with you here.

How large is the lump?

ok thank you, ***** ***** chatting here

It is impossible to diagnose most lumps just by the way they look or feel, but there are other ways to determine the seriousness of the lump.

There is a test called a fine needle aspirate (FNA) which can be performed by collecting a sample of cells from the mass with a needle and then examining under the microscope. This can usually be done right in the clinic. It is not always definitive enough to let you know the exact cause of the lump, but it may help to make the decision of if anything else needs to be done, like surgical removal. Some growths are easily identified as benign and that is all that needs to be done unless the growth is of a size to be bothering the dog.

It is the size of a quarter

If the lump is not going away and seems to bother her, I would recommended taking her in to have your vet evaluate it and they can decide if anything more needs to be done.

In the meantime, you can apply warm water/epsom salt compresses to it to relieve any inflammation or itch associated with it.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

petdrz