Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She showed no signs of having tapeworm until this morning &

Customer Question
She showed no signs...

She showed no signs of having tapeworm until this morning & she pooped it out. She’s been eating and playing since then does that mean they are gone? Or should I go to the nearest petco/petsmart and get her medicine? She’s only 8 weeks old. She had fleas and I’m sure she probably ate one

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Mia Guzman

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/9/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Tapeworm infections in dogs by the common flea tapeworm (Dipylidium caninum) rarely cause clinical symptoms. You saw only part of the tape worm. The rest, including the head, remains inside your dog. You can purchase an over the counter product containing praziquantel*, give one dose, and expect it to be curative but you'll need to improve flea control as ingesting another flea that contains a larval tapeworm can result in an adult tapeworm in your dog within 30 days. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

*https://www.amazon.com/Bayer-Tapeworm-Dewormer-weeks-older/dp/B00PXM1ONW/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1520618684&sr=1-1&keywords=praziquantel+for+dogs&dpID=41%252BbrKkd7IL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian